CFCU History

CFCU Community Credit Union opened its doors in 1953 and has roots deep in the Finger Lakes Region of New York State. Back then, we were known as Cornell Federal Credit Union, and served the employees of Cornell University. In 1997, we adopted a state charter and became Cornell FingerLakes Credit Union. Then in 2003, we converted to a community charter for Tompkins and Cortland counties and officially became CFCU Community Credit Union. This means anyone who lives, works, attends school or maintains a business in these two counties is eligible to become a member.

With nine locations, more than 57,000 members and over $850 million in assets, CFCU is one of the largest credit unions in New York State. Our ongoing success can be traced to a number of factors including sound management practices, adherence to a strict code of ethics, and excellent rates and great products, year after year. But what truly sets us apart from other financial institutions is our ability to deliver highly personalized, quality service. CFCU Community Credit Union is "More than banking."